Definition of GOTS
The GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certification is an international label created in 2005 by the international organisation GOTS, itself made up of four organisations: Organic Trade Association, Japan Organic Coton Association, International Association of Natural Textile Industry (UK) and JOCA (Japan). It is a normative document of a referential nature that aims to guarantee a production process that is responsible in all aspects; social, environmental and human. The label includes the entire production and distribution process, i.e.: processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling, sale and distribution according to the GOTS site.
Several versions of the GOTS certification have been published. The latest and 6th version was updated on 1 March 2020, proof that the certification responds to constantly evolving issues.
GOTS certification is the highest textile guarantee for environmental and social equity. Please note that it is different from Organic certification, which only guarantees a production process free of pesticides. In order to certify its fabrics as GOTS, the manufacturer has to comply with a number of highly regulated production conditions, such as :
- All textile products labelled “made from organic fibres” must contain at least 70% certified organic fibres.
- All textile products labelled “organic GOTS” must contain at least 95% certified organic fibres.
- All chemical substances must be evaluated and comply with a number of restrictions on toxicity and biodegradability.
- From raw materials to intermediate products to finished products, all components involved in procurement, production and marketing must adhere to strict guidelines regarding undesirable residues.
- Many social rules are required: fair pay for workers, abolition of discrimination and forced labour, improvement of working conditions, prohibition of child labour, etc.
- Farmers must be certified according to a national or international organic agricultural standard recognised and accepted in the country where the finished product is sold.
As you can see, GOTS certification requires numerous socio-environmental conditions. It is a guarantee of quality for manufacturers, a guarantee of safety for consumers and a guarantee of equality for workers. Like Oeko Tex certification, the GOTS certification application must be renewed every year. Once accepted, it entitles the manufacturer to participate in the GOTS programme and to use the logo on its products.
GOTS certification & Domotex
At Domotex, your French fabric supplier, we honour developping fabrics that respect the environment and humans, Already Oeko Tex certified, our fabrics must evolve and adapt to current environmental and social conditions. Because yes, the production of a single t-shirt requires the use of 2,700 litres water. We agree; it’s huge. It is undeniable that our consumption habits must change at the risk of our planet being depleted.
On the other hand, the fields of cheap cotton do not reflect what we would like to offer our customers. To you, we wish to establish safety in our fabric productions; first of all by eliminating pesticides in cotton production, but also by participating in the local economy. This is why Domotex is committed to lauching, from 2021, ranges of GOTS fabrics to complement its collections.